PLAY LIST

4/7/09

ART - IS IT OR ISN'T IT ?

http://ArtChick.blogspot.com

Now, you tell me...
All of the hype about "Is it Art?"
... after viewing this exhibition of Lisa Yuskavage at Zwirner it was difficult to say? My own feelings are prejudiced because I abhor women being objectified, however, on the other hand, the artist really knows her craft and paints like a Flemish angel. Yes, there is a niche for this work, and the billionaire Steve Cohen, who is exhibiting part of his fabulous collection "The Women" at Sotheby's has "ONE"! Albeit, a conservative piece at that, but non the less erotic. However, the only cartoon-y reference on his piece, NIGHT 1999-2000, is the face and the ass, or should I say "cheek-y".
LIKE I SAID...this woman can paint...and let's hope that after she has played out her fame-game, she will do just that? I doubt it though, after seeing what she looks and sounds like, she is this business for the long haul, laughing all the way to the bank...

No comments: